Are you a professional or occasional mountain biker? Then, you’re the right person to come here and talk to! And we know that – mountain biking has always been an addiction for you since the first day you started diving into this world of adventure.
Well, did you ever –
- Suffer for the perfect warmth inside your shoes while biking on a very cold day?
- Notice that your shoes are so bulky that you became tired easily?
- Slip on the pedal and had a bad experience?
- Feel your feet so wet and make you so uncomfortable?
If any of your answer is ‘YES’ then you should really think about this marvelous invention ‘Winter Mountain Biking Shoes’.
There is no better option than using some improved mountain biking accessories for a thrilling and delightful experience of mountain biking. And among them, Winter Mountain Biking Shoe is the most necessary, especially if you bike on a cold mountain track.
Factors Should Keep in Mind:
We all know about mountain biking shoes, but this winter mountain biking Shoes are specially designed for winter season or for bikers living in a cold country. Since there are some features that make a winter mountain biking shoe perfect for your biking experience, choosing the right shoe can be a bit challenging. These special shoes have to have following important features –
- Comparatively light weight: It is important for you because, as a mountain biker you always have to store more stamina while biking on a bumpy track. Whereas, you may find that the shoes you use are bulky and you become tired so quickly. You may have pain in your fingers too! So, have a good look at the weight of the shoes you want to use for biking.
- Warm and soft: One of the worst experiences every biker complains about – they feel so cold on their feet and sometimes they can’t feel their feet anymore after a long trip. Sometimes bikers wrap their socks to get the perfect warmth for their feet and that makes an imperfect fit between the shoes and your feet. This also leaves a chance to get dangerous frostbite. You should really know how warm those shoes are for your feet to give you a warm adventure.
- Great grip: Almost every rider faces difficulties on the perfect grip between the pedal and their shoes. For cold mountain biking, this is more important so that you can avoid some unwanted accidents.
- Proper insulation: If your shoes are not especially designed for the winter season, it may not have the proper insulation built into the inner part of the shoes. You should know whether this special shoes are designed for winter biking or not.
- Waterproof: Winter mountain biking shoes should be waterproof, so that the shoe and your feet remains dry after a long biking in a cold weather.
Now, let’s see some of the collected Winter Mountain Biking Shoes you can get from amazon.
Northwave Gran Canion GTX
The Vibram Sharp Claw sole makes the shoe very lightweight. COMPLETELY WATERPROOF with MAXIMUM BREATHABILITY are ensured by the upper Gore-Tex Pique membrane. The shoe weighs around 512 gm. The pique membrane contains millions of microscopic pores which are 20000 times smaller than a water droplet. The closing system is done by Speed Lace System (SLS) and straps. The Heels are reinforced rubber footbed. The thermowelded mesh vents construct light microfibers couples and result in better comfort and lightweight.
- Gives comfort for both cycling and walking.
- Quality performance in a reasonable price.
- Fool-proof protection from outer elements.
- Durability might be an issue.
- Footbeds are thin.
- The ankle shaft height may seem low to some.
Winter Shoe For Men:back to menu ↑
Northwave Extreme Winter GTX M
The Northwave GTX M offers a full protection from water and harsh elements. Its Gore-Tex Sierra membrane guarantees optimal comfort in any weather conditions. The DSC (Double Shield Construction) works great where the outer layer works much like a shoe cover and the inner part is to keep an ideal microclimate. Nylon chassis Speedlight 3D outsole made with fiberglass and it is co-injected to the outer TPU shell. Excellent rubber stud grip even in the most slippery condition. The shoe weighs around 930 gm.
S.L.W.2 (Speed Lace Winch) with power strap closures give maximum precision and modularity. Three-bolt fixing sole with a replaceable heel bumper. Integrated heel system, Special GTX footbed, SPD compatible, Rated -25C to +5C.
- These boots have twin-layer construction. The upper layer deals with weatherproofing while the inner keeps your toes warm.
- This shoe is not extremely narrow. You can get a good fit from the wide range of adjustment function.
- Micro-adjustment can be done by Speed Lace Winches (SLW2).
- The stiff carbon soles gives opportunity to go in rain without compromising the performance.
- Keeping the Boa ratchets clear of grit and mud has proven difficult.
- They’re pretty bulky around the heel. So, if you’re a heel based rider then you might face some difficulties.
Winter Shoe For Women:
There are not much differences between men’s and women’s winter mountain biking shoes. The designs and functionality are almost equal for both men & women feet.back to menu ↑
The protection of numb feet and insulation of outer elements are ensured by the upper Polyurethane coated leather. The shoe weighs around 882 gm. The Polar Fleece Insulation are provided by the GORE-TEX membrane line. The tall neoprene ankle cover with Velcro strap prevent water and mud entering the shoe. The soles are Fibreglass reinforced. The reinforced heels and toes are built with robust armour and provide mud-shedding tread pattern. For heat retention the shoe gives a comfortable, adaptable cup insole with a fleece liner.
- Keeps your feet perfectly warm and fully waterproof.
- Long time pedaling will be easy and comfortable.
- Additional insulation is provided by the insole.
- No wide sizes.
- Walking would be difficult on ice or tiles floor.
SIDI Diablo GTXThe Gore-tex membrane lining is a guaranteed waterproof and breathable bootie. It gives comfort to your feet, keep them dry and allows sweat vapor to escape from inside. It provides MTB competition sole and three-step closure straps. The high cuff has wide closure with water resistant neoprene to protect your feet from outer elements. The upper is made of Synthetic Lorica Toe Inserts and the toe spikes ensure fine traction while walking. The heel cup is designed custom by SIDI to give you better performance. Four hook and loop straps finishes the closing and don’t let you to bind in cold weather.
- The integrated tongue of Seamless Gore-Tex resist the water leaking from under.
- Lightweight, Balanced breathability, Insulation & Protection from outer elements.
- Sized carefully to wear winter socks & thick socks.
- High performance and durability.
- Biking on these is excellent but walking is a bit difficult.
- Heel slip may occur often while running.
This is one of the LAKE’s high-end winter cycling shoes and a successful winter shoes series. It weighs around 755 gm. Designed for absolutely extreme weather conditions, it features a very robust sole (compatible with SPD). This will give your feet a proper circulation while providing the only isolated heel counter among winter biking boots. Besides they have PITTARDS WR100 leather and airprene shaft which is water-resistant. Heavy duty Mountain V outsole by Vibram. Additional features are THINSULATE insulation toe box, THERMASOL insole, BOA closure system, Side mounted Push/Pull BOA IP1 lacing system and buckle top flap.
- The Pittards WR100 leather with its dual layer construction make these soundly waterproof.
- The neoprene cuff makes a pretty effective barrier to keep snow out of your boots.
- SPD compatible and it uses a fiberglass injected nylon midsole.
- Nice slim profile which helps with pedaling.
- The sizing might be difficult to match. Its runs are narrow.
- There are no half sizes. So, if your feet is size 48.5 then you have to order either 48 or 49.
Northwave Celsius GTX
Northwave Celsius GTX Shoes provide easy to use SLS (Speed Lace System). Gore-Tex membrane blocks cold wind and wicks moisture. Carbon reinforced sole for efficient power transfer. These shoes keep your feet dry and comfortable in a tough winter condition. The sole is made of carbon powder thermoplastic. Highly rigid and the front end of the sole consists of 2 parts, a fibre sole with added carbon powder and an outsole. For maximum grip, the rear part is designed with natural rubber. The shoe weighs around 940 gm. The extra features are Ultra Y Heel, SPD compatible, GTX Footbed, Rated -10 to +15°C.
- Upper Gore-Tex provides the reliable waterproofing.
- The SLS is a fast, simple and secure closure mechanism. You need to pull the cord and push the clip downward to automatically lock the laces in place.
- The completely integrated tongue into the boot resist the water leaking from under.
- Generous toe boxes make it a good fit for wide feet.
- Fitting the right size may become a problem. So, try them on carefully before you cut any tags.
Five Ten Freerider Sneaker
Five Ten Freerider Sneaker is a BMX-inspired leather shoe which is a great combination of leather, rubber, and textile. These shoes come with breathable suede leather and mesh uppers with supportive midsoles. Besides mountain bike riding, these are perfect for casual workplaces too. The footbed is made of compressed foam. There is polyester lining around the shoes and these have lace-up type footwear closure. The outsoles are made of shock-absorbing sticky Stealth S1 rubber with high-friction dotted tread. The insoles are removable too. Although the toes are not reinforced, the shoe itself is very durable and tough.
- Made of very thick, durable and shock-absorbing Stealth S1 rubber.
- Sticks to the pedals as if they are glued on.
- Wider toe boxes make it a nice fit for wide feet
- Very comfortable and fits perfectly
- The shoelaces are too long.
- There is no lace guard.
- Walking on the linoleum or wood floors may leave black marks.
So far, you have read about several winter mountain biking shoes. If you want a comfortable riding experience in the winter, there are really no alternatives of having a nice pair of winter mountain biking shoes. If you are riding or commuting in the cold breeze of snowy winter you would be in need of the warm & soft feet, great grip and insulation. Whether you are a professional or occasional mountain biker, choosing a right pair of shoes can help you to get rid of all your troubles. The choice is yours!